Friday, April 17, 2020

Updates From This Week's Web Chats

It was great to see so many smiling faces during the web chats this week! If you couldn't attend, don't worry, we'll do it again in a couple of weeks. I was happy to see about 1/3 to 1/2 of the band students, and it was good to hear that so far everyone is healthy. I talked about some updated information during the web chats, so I am posting that info here for anyone who needs it.

Next Year's Show Theme - I know you're all excited to find out what our show theme will be for next year! I'm putting the finishing touches on that and putting it all together into a Google Slides PowerPoint-style presentation that I can share with you online. I'll try to have that up next week.
Instruments - If your instrument is in the Band Room (either CHS or CMS), Mr. Fortner & I will develop a mechanism for you to get those once the state's shelter-in-place order has been lifted. You'll be able to get those as soon as it's safely possible.
Marching Band Google Classroom - I have set up a Google Classroom for band. There is some music in there and more will be added later. (Next year's show music will be there when it's ready.) I'm posting the daily musical birthdays and music history, and cool web pages & videos that are music-related. If you haven't yet, please sign up for our Google Classroom so we can show that we are still doing something educational during this downtime. The code is: a7wlpjp. There is no work that you will have to complete, and nothing will be graded.
● Drum Major Tryouts - Mr. Fortner is heading up the Drum Major tryouts. If you want to participate, you should be a current freshman, sophomore, or junior, and you should be in the Drum Major Tryout Google Classroom. Mr. Fortner is posting both leadership and conducting information that you will need in order to tryout for next's year's Drum Major position. The code for the Google Classroom is: jmqrgw5.
Officer Applications - Those who want to apply for an officer position for next year should be a current freshman, sophomore, or junior, and may do so by filling out the online Google Form. The link to the Officer Application is here: https://forms.gle/xUvKnZK2mXL9psuw5.
Visual Unit Tryouts - Miss Donna and I are still working out our options for Visual Unit for next year, and, once we've figured out what we're going to do, I will post info here and send it out on Remind/Facebook/Twitter.
Awards & Banquet - We normally vote on paper ballets each year, but I will convert that to a Google Form, and students will be able to vote online. The ballot will be ready in the next couple of weeks, and I will send out a link on Remind/Facebook/Twitter and put a link on the main page of the website. We still want to have a Band Banquet at some point, and we will schedule that when it's safe to do so.
Band Camp/Band Practice Schedule - Obviously there is still a lot of unknown variables with COVID-19, but I have put the dates and time for Band Camp on the website calendar (assuming that we start school as scheduled). We will have Indoor Music Band Camp Monday through Thursday, July 20th-23rd, 5p-9p in the Band Room. We will have Outdoor Drill Band Camp Monday through Thursday, July 27th-30th, 5p-9p on the practice field. The first day of school is scheduled for Wednesday, August 5th. I'm not sure where we'll be practicing once school starts, so I can't set our normal band practice time until that's been decided. Hopefully I will have the information I need to set that soon.
Stadium - According to Coach Edwards, the current completion date of the new stadium is May 4th. That means that it will definitely be ready for the coming football season, and maybe even graduation. Dr. Dixon has stated that he wants to have a graduation ceremony for the seniors at some point, and I don't see why that can't be in the new stadium if it's ready!

As always, wash & sanitize those hands, don't touch your face, stay home if you can, and stay six feet or more away from people when you can't. I want everyone to be safe, and I can't wait to see you all again in person. I'm ready to get back to making some music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neff Jacket Rep & Practices

NEFF JACKET REP : A reminder that Mike Faulkner, the Neff Jacket representative, will be in the Band Room on Tuesday August 18th from 3:30p-...