Friday, March 20, 2020

School Update

I know that this an "interesting" time to say the least - something like I've never seen before - but I wanted to give you an update on school and band.

On Friday 3/13, the Cook Board of Education decided to close school for two weeks, Monday 3/16 through Friday 3/27. On Tuesday of this week, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp mandated that schools close for two weeks through Tuesday 3/31, which would add two additional days to the Cook Board closures. That means that, if all goes according to schedule, we would return to school on Wednesday, April 1st. I was told before we dismissed that we will still have Spring Break as scheduled Monday through Friday 4/6 to 4/10, and I've not heard anything different as of now. I realize that means that we would go back for three days of school and then take another week out, but that's the current plan. (You can see these dates on the website calendar.) There's also a distinct possibility that we would remain closed for those three days and return after Spring Break, but that's just speculation right now.

Should this school closure continue beyond Spring Break, I feel sure that we'll have to do online classes/lessons. For those of you in 2nd & 4th block band classes, I have no idea right now how this will work for us, but I'm looking at some options, and we'll figure it out together.

I know that many of you have your instrument in the instrument room at the high school, and some of you want to get your horn. Unfortunately we were told when we left the building on Friday 3/13 that no one was allowed under any circumstances to return for two weeks. We are still not 100% sure at this time how long COVID-19 can live on surfaces, so the intention is to let any and all traces of the virus that might be in the building to clear. If/when we're allowed back in and I can let you retrieve your instrument, then I will send out a Remind message.

Lastly, we hope that you and your family are and remain safe. Please try to stay at home as much possible. This virus is extremely contagious, so social distancing combined with frequent hand washing/sanitizing is essential. Apparently young people are at a lower risk for a serious case of the virus (and health officials say that this may not be completely accurate), but if you catch it, you can quickly spread it to others that are higher risk without even realizing it. Please take all precautions!

I miss you all, and I can't wait to get back to having nothing more to worry about than the right key signature! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neff Jacket Rep & Practices

NEFF JACKET REP : A reminder that Mike Faulkner, the Neff Jacket representative, will be in the Band Room on Tuesday August 18th from 3:30p-...